Reduction - How
can Male Breasts ...
Consultation is extremely important if you are considering treatment for Gynecomastia (also called ‘male breasts’ or ‘man boobs’). During your Gynecomastia Surgery consultation, your surgeon will explain the options available to you and rule out any underlying medical causes for your condition.
IS IT REALLY NECESSARY TO HAVE A GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY CONSULTATION?
We strongly recommend that you have a consultation if you are considering Gynecomastia treatment. It is important to rule out medical causes for this condition as these (although uncommon) can be serious. There are also numerous treatment options for gynecomastia so it really is best to seek expert advice rather than attempting to self-diagnose. Your surgeon will also be able to fully explain all your options, show you before and after photos of previous Gynecomastia patients, tell you what the treatment involves and answer any questions that you may have.
What will your gynecomastia surgeon discuss?
Your surgeon will ask about:
- Your Gynecomastia, including any social difficulties such as swimming and wearing tight clothing.
- He or she will then enquire about your health and any medical issues, such as medications and lifestyle habits which can contribute to Gynecomastia.
- Your surgeon will also assess your body mass index (BMI) to ensure it is within normal boundaries. If it is over 25, your surgeon will recommend a program of exercise and diet to lower your BMI, as it can have significant impacts on the fatty distribution within the breast tissue.
- If your surgeon has ruled out any underlying cause for your Gynecomastia and you are of normal weight they will discuss the various available options for treatment.
- You will be encouraged to express your concerns and your reasons for considering surgery.
What will my Cosmetic Surgeon show me at the Consultation?
At your Gynecomastia surgery consultation, it is important that your surgeon shows you photographic results from past cases of patients they have treated with a chest appearance which is similar to yours. This will give you the best possible idea of the result of your surgery, likely scarring and also the amount of reduction of the chest area that can be achieved. It is important to remember, however, that scarring varies between individuals and your surgeon will make sure you have a full understanding of how the scars could appear.
What will you be told about surgical procedures?
Your surgeon should discuss the surgical procedure in detail, including:
- Location and size of any scars.
- The likely amount of reduction of the Gynecomastia.
- Aftercare, particularly the type of support clothing and dressings that you will wear afterwards.
- Your recovery time.
- Which activities you can perform after surgery.
- Possible complications that can occur following surgery.
Do you have to make an immediate decision?
No. It is important that you think about the procedure and have the opportunity to ask your surgeon any further questions before making a decision.
When do you decide whether to go ahead?
Your surgeon should give you some background reading material on Gynecomastia and allow you significant time to make your decision. At Aurora Clinics, we recommend at least 2 weeks to consider the surgery and a second consultation to ask any more questions. You can either do this by phone or in person.
What happens once you make your decision?
Your surgeon will discuss possible dates for surgery and you will receive a formal quote for the cost of the full package including aftercare. At Aurora Clinics, we advise people to think carefully about whether surgery is right for them and encourage patients to have as much understanding as possible of the causes of Gynecomastia, the options, the likely outcome from treatment and any possible complications. We find by providing people with as much information as possible, they are able to weigh up the pros and cons of the operation in order to make an informed decision about proceeding.
To make an appointment please phone 01844 214362 or email email@example.com
If you would like to see how Gynecomastia Surgery is performed, please view some of our male breast reduction information videos on this procedure.
Many people find it helpful to look through Gynecomastia before and after photographs to get a good idea of the possible results from their surgery.
For more detailed information about Gynecomastia Surgery and what to expect if you opt for this treatment, please browse through our other FAQ pages using the navigation bar on the right.