WHAT IS IT?
It is possible to suffer from enlargement of the nipple itself or the brown area around the nipple (the areolar). The nipple itself may:
- Protrude too much
- Be too wide
- Be an uneven shape
The areolar is the brown area around the nipple and this may be :
- Too large
- Uneven and not round in shape
- Domed and raised from the surrounding skin
Abnormalities of the nipple can be treated with:
- Reduction in the size of the areolar
- Surgery to make the areolar more rounded
- An operation to reduce the tissue beneath the areolar and reduce its domed appearance
WHAT IS INVOLVED?
Nipple reduction surgery is normally performed under Local Anaesthetic with you awake during the operation. If you would prefer your nipple reduction surgery can be performed under a light General Anaesthetic. The area which concerns you will then be reduced. Absorbable stitches will be used in most cases. Most people notice mild discomfort after nipple reduction surgery. This is usually well controlled by simple medications such as paracetamol. You should be able to return to work and social activities within a week. Surgery is considered to provide a permanent solution after nipple reduction surgery.