Cosmetic Surgery for men
Do you think nip/tuck is only for women? Think again because there are many options available for men and becoming increasingly popular in the UK.
Here are some statistics to start with:
- The top cosmetic surgery procedures for men in 2007 include liposuction, rhinoplasty, eyelid surgery, male breast reduction, and facelift.
- The top non-surgical procedures for men in 2007 include Botox, micro-dermabrasion and skin peel.
- The total number of cosmetic surgery procedures including non-surgical processes performed on men in the US was almost 1 million in 2007.
- In the UK, Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping) was the top cosmetic surgery procedure for men. According to BAAPS, 716 men underwent this procedure, which is an increase of 36% since 2006.
- The biggest increase recorded so far has been in male abdominoplasty or tummy tucks at 61% in 2007.
- Another cosmetic surgery procedure for men that witnessed an increase is liposuction and the increase was by 18%. As of date, it is considered as the 2nd most popular cosmetic surgery procedure for men.
- The third most popular cosmetic surgery procedure for men is breast reduction, which has increased by 27%. BAAPS members conducted 224 procedures on men for breast reduction in 2007 vis-à-vis 177 procedures in 2006.
So what are the top 3 cosmetic surgery procedures for men in the UK?
This is the most popular cosmetic surgery procedure in men, mainly amongst the 20+ age-group. The surgery can be performed internally (inside the nose) or externally. It takes 2-3 hours.
This is a popular cosmetic surgery procedure among men who are in their early or mid 30s. In 2007, almost 582 liposuction procedures were carried out on men in the UK.
The total time for the surgery mostly depends on the size of the area where liposuction has to be conducted and the amount of fat taken out.
Male Breast Reduction (Gynaecomastia)
This is an increasingly common procedure in the UK so men should not feel in any way shy or ashamed to come forward for it. Between 2007-2008, there was a 44% increase in the UK in Male Breast Reduction operations, and a lot of men choose to combine this procedure with Liposuction.
Sometimes linked to obesity, but more often simply a genetic flaw in average-sized men, this relatively simple procedure is a confidence-boosting option for image-conscious men.